- No comments
Okay so we know it’s the middle of summer, but with how hot it is, we figured this blog post would be a little but refreshing!
Your roof serves an important function throughout the year, but the winter can be a particularly trying time for it. You’ll want to do everything in your power to prepare your roof for an Arizona winter.
You can check your roof out on your own, or you can call in the pros at Thomas Roofing if you suspect any damage. But you don’t have to wait until there’s a problem to take the best possible care of your roof.
The list below will give you some pointers about how to winterize your Arizona roof. These are things you can do yourself if you feel comfortable atop your roof, or you can give Thomas Roofing a call, later in the year of course. We can have your roof ready for winter in no time! If you live in Mesa, AZ call for roofing deals.
- Cut down tree branches that hang over your roof. Low-hanging tree branches are a danger for your roof because they can accumulate snow and ice, which can become very heavy and fall on your roof. We don’t have to tell you that a giant tree branch falling through your roof in the dead of winter is less than ideal. This is one of the quickest, easiest ways to winterize your roof.
- Look for signs of pests. All sorts of creatures – mice, squirrels, raccoons, birds, and bugs – can find refuge on your roof. Every one of them burrows, chews or scratches, and all these actions can cause ugly and damaging holes in your roof. When your roof is penetrated this way, moisture can get in and ruin the underlying layers of your roof – even the wood that forms the structure of your home!
- Install heat cables to eliminate residual snow and ice. Heat cables are a specialized roofing solution for homeowners who would like to melt away winter precipitation quickly. These cables are installed underneath the outer layers of your roof to do just that. Heat cables may seem like a drastic step, but you should compare the cost of installing them with the cost of replacing an entire roof!
- Clean the roof…and keep it that way! Debris on your roof can cause a plethora of problems, and it can camouflage damage. Giving you roof a good cleaning before winter and then periodically doing minor cleanups throughout the season will keep debris from trapping moisture or giving those pests anywhere to live! If cleaning the roof yourself seems a bit too dangerous, any professional roofing company in Scottsdale, Arizona can gladly give you a hand!
- Clean out the gutters. Clogged gutters are a much bigger problem that homeowners realize! Your gutters direct the flow of water off your roof, and when they become clogged, the water has nowhere to go. When wintertime comes, you want to be sure that the gutters are completely clear to allow all that excess precipitation flow off your roof.
If you are an avid do-it-yourselfer, you can consider winterizing your roof yourself. For everyone else, Thomas Roofing has a full set of winterization services to assist our customers who know the importance of preparing their roofs for Arizona’s coldest season! Call us to schedule a roofing appointment today!